I have always been a fan of beef jerky. Beef jerky, I think is the quintessential man snack. Salty, sweet and it can be packed for a back packing trip, walks, in your car – I mean these little suckers are awesome.
You know what isn’t so awesome? The price. You can end up paying $10 to $15 a pound for this. So, I think that is crazy talk. So, for the investment of a few kitchen tools and some basic pantry items – you can make it for less than $5 a pound (basically the price of hamburger).
If you’re going on a Paleo diet – these meat treats can help you along the way. I found my jerky gun at a local kitchen supply store – you can find one online here.
- 1 pound ground beef (extra lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tablespoons tequila
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a large bowl, completely combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the jerky mixture for at least 4 hours and it is well chilled.
- Using a Jerky gun, on a jerky sheet for your dehydrator extrude 1" wide by 5" long strips.
- Place the trays on the dehydrator and follow manufacturer's directions. Turn the jerky strips once 1/2 way through the drying process.
- You may also dry the ground beef jerky in the oven by placing it on a cookie sheet and placing it in the oven at the lowest possible heat setting about 145 - 155° F.