Perfect Peach Ice Cream
When I think of summer, I think of ripe peaches taken off the tree and with pairing knife slicing perfect segments that dripped with peach juice and got all over your lips. Peach is one of my most favorite flavors today. Creating a peach ice cream that packs the perfect amount of peach is an art. In my archive of Gourmet Magazine’s in June 2008, I found it. The Perfect Peach Ice Cream.
- 2 pounds ripe peaches
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch your peaches by cutting an x in the bottom of each. Blanch them for 15 seconds. Then move them into an ice batch to stop the cooking process. Peel the peaches and slice into 1/2 inch size pieces. Toss the peaches with the lemon juice, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar in a large mixing bowl. Let this peach mixture sit covered and chilled for at least 8 hours.
- Meanwhile mix cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a saucepan. Combine the cream and milk and allow the mixture to come to a boil over a medium fire, whisk this constantly. Add the yolks in a slow but steady stream, while whisking constantly to temper,, then pour this mixture back into saucepan.
- Cook the custard and stir only with a wooden spoon until the mixture just coats the back of a spoon and it is 170 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to ensure you don't have any bits of cooked egg and place in a metal bowl and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Chill this custard and place parchment paper over the top to prevent a skin to form, at lest for 4 hours.
- Reserve 2 cups of peaches into a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Puree the rest of the peaches and the peach liquid in a blender until it is very smooth. Combine the puree and the custard in an ice cream maker and allow it to freeze, then mix in the 2 cups of reserved peaches and place in an air tight container and place in the freezer to harden for at least 2 hours.