Just a few years ago, I was handed a bottle of Pirates Gold Marinade from a co-worker who had lived in the Southeastern United States. I started to explore with different proteins to see what would work best with this container of gold!
I tried chicken, steak, pork and it was very good. However, my best results were with seafood. The best results were with grilled shrimp and oven roasted cod. Whatever your preference, this recipe is my nod to the original. If you would like to try their version, please feel free to click the link and buy from them. If you would like to try to make my version, it’s below. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Medium onion (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 Teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 Dashes hot sauce
- In a large saucepan heat your oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. This will take about 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Combine the onion garlic mixture with the remaining ingredients. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cooled marinade into a shallow dish, or a 1-gallon zip type plastic bag to marinade 1 - 2 pounds of protein.