Chips and Salsa. Who doesn’t love this combination? I know I do, and I don’t really want to know someone who doesn’t enjoy something a basic and yet as perfect as this. My perfect salsa is a smooth salsa with small pieces of tomato, onions, jalapenos and cilantro and lime juice. It is bright, fresh and has a little bit of a kick that lets you know you are alive!
Salsa isn’t complicated. Think about it, you go to your favorite Mexican establishment and you are served complimentary chips and salsa. There is a local establishment near my house that has a complete salsa bar with ten different styles of salsa and, it is complimentary with your meal. How do they do that? Serve you something that is complimentary and yet it is still spicy and fresh?
The answer is, salsa has to be simple to make. This recipe you can make with just a food processor and no knives. Once you start making this salsa, you won’t purchase that stuff off the shelf anymore. More importantly, you will find just how much of your money you have been throwing away. Hey, don’t blame me. I am just the bringer of great recipes!
5 Minute Salsa Recipe
- 1 - 28 ounce can whole plum tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 small white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 jalepeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, to taste
- 2 handfuls of cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- In a food processor, place the ingredients in order as listed. Pulse a few times to break up the larger pieces of tomato and garlic. Process until the texture is as smooth as you prefer.
- Taste the salsa and adjust based on your preference.
- Transfer the salsa to an airtight container, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours to as much as a day for the best flavor.
- Serve with tortilla chips!