Zesty Mexican Shrimp Cocktail or Coctel de Camarones is a wonderful cold summer dish. It is made from poached shrimp that has been tossed in flavorful tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and citrus. I often find that the traditional home cooked versions tend to be a little sweet, as they use ketchup. This version is a perfect blend of awesome that will go great with your next barbecue or that cold winter’s night when you are dreaming of being on the beaches of Cancun, Mexico!
Zesty Mexican Shrimp Cocktail:
- 1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 8 limes), divided
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and finely diced
- diced avocado, for garnish
- Mexican-Style hot sauce like Tampico or Cholula
- tortilla chips, for serving
- In a large bowl, toss the poached shrimp with 1 teaspoon kosher salt until it is evenly coated. Transfer this to the refrigerator and allow to chill for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix 4 tablespoons lime juice with the diced onion, tomato puree, ketchup, cilantro, orange juice and the jalapeno.
- Cut the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the shrimp into a bowl and toss with the sauce mixture and combine. Spoon into serving dishes, top with avocado and serve with chips and hot sauce.