Did you pick up a few too many tomatoes at that farmer’s market last weekend? We have all heard about sun-dried tomatoes, but I don’t have that kind of time sweetheart! Roasting tomatoes for several hours will intensify the flavor. You can use these oven-dried tomatoes in a variety of ways; salads, sautés; puree for a homemade tomato paste or just toss in your favorite pasta or risotto; use as a topping on a hamburger, hotdog; or toss a few in your pie hole and you can eat them like nature’s candy.
These preserve remarkably well. You can bag these in zip-top type bags and freeze for up to 6 months. You can also fill a sterilized Mason jar with these oven-dried tomatoes, capers, garlic and chopped herbs, and then cover with Olive Oil. Cover with a sterilized lid and a screw band. You can set on your counter for up to two weeks.
I find that if the dried and not in oil, that I like to chop them and let them steep in a bit of hot water or wine, and then I drain them before I use them. If you do the oil step you can use them directly in your recipe. Don’t forget to use some of that flavor packed oil!
Oven-Dried Tomatoes Recipe:
- 20 Roma Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F
- Cut the Roma tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the tomatoes with olive oil to coat completely and then season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the tomatoes on top of the foiled baking sheet. Arrange the tomatoes with the cut side up. Bake in the upper third of the oven for at least 6 to 7 hours, until the tomatoes are shrunken and caramelized.
- Allow to cool completely.