In the fall, when the autumn air is starting to turn cold in my little corner of the world I like to build a fire in my fire place, turn on the football game and I love a hearty soup that packs a little zip. This Sweet Potato & Chipotle soup does just that. I love the velvet texture of the sweet potato that has been enhanced with the smoky chipotle’s punch. Serve this with some corn bread, or buttered Sourdough bread and you are in business. Note a Bread Bowl is another fun alternative for parties, and friends.
The best part of this recipe is it’s a slow cooker (crock pot) recipe. So, that’s right with a little prep and a few hours cooking while your away at work you can come home and know you have this smoky goodness waiting for you when you get home! Let’s Eat! This recipe was featured on our Podcast Eat & Drink It Episode EL OTOÑO MATA EL FESTIVAL
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Large sweet potatoes (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 Medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 Cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 green chiles (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- sour cream
- 12-16 Sprigs cilantro
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with the nonstick cooking spray, add the sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, green chiles, rosemary, chipotle, salt, pepper and chicken broth and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-to-8 hours, or until the potatoes are very tender (so a fork can easily be pressed into them).
- Remove about 1/4th the soup from the slow cooker and place it in a blender. Add 1/3 of the chopped tomatoes and blend until smooth. Pour the blended mixture into separate bowl, and repeat with the remaining soup. When finished blending, return all the blended soup back to the slow cooker, and cook for 15-30 minutes, or until it is warmed through.
- To serve, spoon the soup into individual bowls, add a dollop os sour cream, and garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro. Serve hot.
Do you have a question or recipe submission that we should hear or try? If you want to ask Dani or Brian a question, please send us an email at email@example.com. Please include your first name or twitter handle, please state your question clearly and concisely. Please know that by leaving your contact data, you are giving us permission to use your name and twitter handle on the podcast. Your question/message may be edited for time and clarity purposes.
Eat & Drink It is also available on Stitcher. Stitcher is a free news and talk mobile app available on your smart phone or tablet device.