Roasted Salt-and-Vinegar Red Potatoes

roastedmain

During the week, my day job has me working between 60-70 hours a week. I don’t mind, it pays the bill and its engaging. However, it takes a lot of working from home as well as time away from my family. However, Saturday mornings is a time for me to catch up on cooking shows, get ideas for new recipes for my family.

I kick back in my Lazy-Boy recliner, flick on the Dish and start to review the DVR. Then in all that good and right with the world appears Cooks Country. You might have enjoyed their programming as well. It’s a PBS show that appears a couple of times on Saturday on the two PBS channels we have here in Utah.

In this episode there was a nice, and very simple recipe for Roasted Salt-and-Vinegar Potatoes. My son loves Salt-and-Vinegar chips, so it was worth a shot! Once completed my son exclaimed, “Dad, these are the best potatoes EVER!” Arguably, he is biased – however, I hope you enjoy this recipe.

728x90

Roasted Salt-and-Vinegar Potatoes

Serves 6
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Total time 1 hour
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Side Dish
Misc Child Friendly, Serve Hot
Occasion Barbecue, Football Party
Website Cooks Country TV PBS

Ingredients

• 2lb Red Potatoes (2x1 Inch in Size)
  • 1 1/4 cup Table Salt
  • 8 cups Water
  • 4 tablespoons Malt Vinegar
  • Cracked Black Pepper (To Taste)
  • 6 tablespoons Olive Oil

Directions

Step 1
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
Step 2
Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet. Brush second rimmed baking sheet evenly with oil.
Step 3
Bring 2 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in potatoes and salt, and cook until just tender and paring knife slips easily in and out of potatoes, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to wire rack; let dry for 10 minutes.
Step 4
Transfer potatoes to oiled baking sheet. Flatten each potato with underside of measuring cup until ½ inch thick. Brush potatoes with half of vinegar and season with pepper.
Step 5
Roast until potatoes are well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Brush with remaining vinegar. Transfer potatoes to platter, smashed side up. Serve.

Comments

1. Molly says

Just saw these on Cook’s Country as well. They sound delicious! I’d like to make them today, but haven’t got any malt vinegar in the house. (and it’s snowing and blowing outside!) Is it possible to substitute white vinegar? I have white vinegar and cider vinegar on hand. Thanks for posting this! *:0)

2. Barbara Spurr says

Barbara says:

Since retiring from teaching school for 39 years, I now have the luxury of viewing and making delicious and unique recipes I never had time for in the past…yours being one of them. Thank you for sharing…and don’t forget….read to your children, often, regardless of their age.

3. D. Thomas says

Hey Brian,
    Thanks for posting this sounds great, but…
    May be a dumb question …
    had just watched it on Cooks…..they never said at the end, how much sodium you would be consuming? With a cup and a quarter of salt and màlt vin….Do you know if we should not go near a salt shaker for a couple wks. after a serving?

Thanks,
    D.Thomas

• Profile photo of Brian Child says

D,

While I don’t play a food scientist on TV, or anything :). I would say, if your sensitive to salt – you may want to dial down the amount of salt.

With that said, I reached out to Cook’s and America’s Test Kitchen – and no one responded.

I will let you know if they do.

Good Luck

4. Sharon says

I just made these today after watching the show yesterday and they were excellent! After roasting you really do need to brush with more vinegar as we couldn’t really taste it at all on the ones that weren’t re-coated. Not overly salty at all! Just the perfect amount of seasoning. Creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside! Yum!!

5. Chris says

Why do you need two roasting pans and a rack? Not too clear to me. I am making them today. Thank you.

• Profile photo of Brian Child says

Chris, glad you asked this question. A picture should clear this up and I will add it soon. However since your making this today, here it is:

I place a wife rack over one of the sheets to allow the potatoes to dry once you pull them from the salt water.

The 2nd sheet pan that is oiled is so when you roast the potatoes crispy. You can do it with one, I recommend that you dry the sheet pan completely before applying the oil.

Thanks,

Brian

6. AEH says

I made these potatoes and while they are awesome, had them leftover. The next night I threw them on the BBQ grill to heat them. They got crispier and more awesome. Thinking of making them ahead and taking them to my next BBQ

7. Wendy W says

I made these with a little alteration because I was serving to a big group of people and know that not everyone is crazy for malt vinegar like I am. I followed the instructions exactly except instead of the vinegar and olive oil I used 1 stick of melted butter for brushing. They were so good that way also, my mother begs me to make them every time my parents come over for dinner now. Now if you can impress mom with something, they must really be amazing! :)